OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - .270 vs. 308
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.270 vs. 308

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 11684
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 11:58
It is a great round.  .308 necked down to a 28 cal.  With the 140s it is a great hunting round.  For long range shooting the Hornady 162 Amax and the Sierra 168 smk will both be great rounds.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Back to Top
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Joined: January/28/2010
Location: Melissa, Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 721
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 14:18

Is there any more info I could get on this ballistically? Besides the .284 probably being the best round, I'm guessing between the .270 and .308 caliber range, is the only difference between the 7mm-08 and the 7mm rem mag is the casing, powder and bullet?

You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Back to Top
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 11684
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 14:25
You can shoot the same exact bullets.  The 7 mag has about 300 fps on the -08.  The mag has a belt on it that will make reloading a bit more difficult.  Doable, just more difficult.  I reload a 7 mag for an auto loader and it works just fine.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Back to Top
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: February/20/2008
Location: North Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 4374
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 14:49
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The most "popular" and common .308 rounds are not optimal for best performance of 30 cal.  A 180gr bullet is "middle of the road" for 30 cal.  Build me a high BC 220-250gr round for 30 cal and I can destroy "performance" of the 270.  
270 is an abomination.  All 270 materiel should be melted down and converted to something useful...

.
 
KB!!!
Say it ain't so!!
I'm injured!! Bleedin even. Out of your vast experience and wisdom a hater of the 270. Surely you missed Trigger's post containing facts and wisdom in this same thread. Man!! The shock. Don't you know the only reason the military isn't useing the 270 is budget and polotics (I jest).
But, seriously the 270 is a great round and in the wsm a strong competitor for the bullet wts. it is offered in. It is the bullet of choice for those of us who want something away from what everyone else is doing. The 30-06 the 308 though well able to hold their own are generally a dime a dozen but the 270. Now you've got something that covers full spectrum varmint to elk just as well and in a narrow field better than it's competing 30cal bullets (revelant wt. class).
And as you said, if you want optimal performance from a 30 cal. Load a 220+ round in your 300wm and you've got ultimate performance. But now your along way from a 308.
 
Give me a day or so and I'll be over this deep cut. Still luv ya man just wasn't expecting that left hook. (again I jest).
 


Edited by Sgt. D - November/04/2011 at 14:51
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Back to Top
tahqua View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Joined: March/27/2006
Location: Michigan, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 8813
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 14:51
WSM's don't have belts. Belts have never given me problems for accuracy. I head space on the shoulder with reloads.
The 7mm RM used to own the 1000 yard record at Wimbledon.
Doug
Back to Top
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Joined: September/29/2007
Location: South Dakota
Status: Offline
Points: 4353
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 15:46
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The most "popular" and common .308 rounds are not optimal for best performance of 30 cal.  A 180gr bullet is "middle of the road" for 30 cal.  Build me a high BC 220-250gr round for 30 cal and I can destroy "performance" of the 270.  
270 is an abomination.  All 270 materiel should be melted down and converted to something useful...

By the time you ram a 220-250 gr. bullet into a .308 case there is no room left for powder...... If I was going to handicap myself by shooting something so slow, I'd just take my Hoyt.  Bucky
 
I see your point of heavier .30 cal bullets, and shoot them myself, but in something that has the powder capacity to push them. Mike already has a .300 Win that he could load these in. Loading something this heavy in a .308 case would make them too slow to compete with even the stupid, abomination, junk .270 Win.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Back to Top
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: February/20/2008
Location: North Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 4374
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 15:57
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The most "popular" and common .308 rounds are not optimal for best performance of 30 cal.  A 180gr bullet is "middle of the road" for 30 cal.  Build me a high BC 220-250gr round for 30 cal and I can destroy "performance" of the 270.  
270 is an abomination.  All 270 materiel should be melted down and converted to something useful...

By the time you ram a 220-250 gr. bullet into a .308 case there is no room left for powder...... If I was going to handicap myself by shooting something so slow, I'd just take my Hoyt.  Bucky
 
I see your point of heavier .30 cal bullets, and shoot them myself, but in something that has the powder capacity to push them. Mike already has a .300 Win that he could load these in. Loading something this heavy in a .308 case would make them too slow to compete with even the stupid, abomination, junk .270 Win.
.
 
Darn Trigger, I just got the bleedin stopped and you go playin around. Stay with me brother! Ouch
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Back to Top
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Joined: January/28/2010
Location: Melissa, Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 721
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 16:11
What is this "belt" you speak of? Is there a website dedicated to reloading specs and ballistics?
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Back to Top
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 21702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 16:19
Yea, I'm actually talking 30-06... just wanted to raise the ire of the easily perturbed .270 fan club...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Back to Top
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: November/13/2008
Location: Montana
Status: Offline
Points: 4853
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 16:33
The problem with .30-cal projectiles is that to match the ballistic characteristics of smaller calibers you have to go up in weight. When you do that, you start to bump into problems with recoil and control over the rifle. Some shooters are more immune to this than others. But consider the weight of the average shooter and the average rifle and it may make more sense to go with a smaller caliber. If you handload then as long as you have a reasonable selection of projectiles and some good brass there's no reason not too.

I've standardized on .308 Win because I've found that for my shooting there are high-BC projectiles in th 165-175 gr. range that strike a good balance between ballistics and recoil. The .308 does what I want it to do out to some pretty impressive ranges. I don't care about drops because that's what target turrets are for. However, when it comes to wind a comparable 7mm-80 load would probably have 7-10" less drift @ 500 yards in a 20 mph wind. When I rebarrel these long-life barrels someday I may rechamber to 7mm-08. But that would really only be if I was dissatisfied with .308. I haven't gotten there yet.

I guess I'd say the .308 Win has proven to be a good all-purpose cartridge. easily handled by most shooters and has a lot going for it. I have nothing bad to say about the .270 but did notice there don't seem to be a ton of projectiles around for it with high BCs. I'd consider a 7mm-08.
Reaction time is a factor...
Back to Top
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Joined: September/29/2007
Location: South Dakota
Status: Offline
Points: 4353
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 16:44
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Yea, I'm actually talking 30-06... just wanted to raise the ire of the easily perturbed .270 fan club...
The .270 is the only good thing that ever came out of that case............Devil
 
You couldn't give me an -06.........

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Back to Top
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: September/30/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1461
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 16:54
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

WSM's don't have belts. Belts have never given me problems for accuracy. I head space on the shoulder with reloads.
The 7mm RM used to own the 1000 yard record at Wimbledon.
I know WSM's don't have belts I was talking about the .257 WBY, .300 WBY, 7mm RM and .338 WM and so on. I was just say'n some gunsmiths don't like belted magnums for accuracy.
Back to Top
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: September/30/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1461
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 17:00
The .308 is perfectly fine for prairie dogs to brown bears here in North America. With somthing like a barnes ttsx it will do very little damage to hides/meat to.
Back to Top
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 21702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 17:11
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Yea, I'm actually talking 30-06... just wanted to raise the ire of the easily perturbed .270 fan club...
The .270 is the only good thing that ever came out of that case............Devil
 
You couldn't give me an -06.........

Why would I want to waste a good rifle???
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Back to Top
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 21702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 17:14
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

The problem with .30-cal projectiles is that to match the ballistic characteristics of smaller calibers you have to go up in weight. When you do that, you start to bump into problems with recoil and control over the rifle. Some shooters are more immune to this than others. But consider the weight of the average shooter and the average rifle and it may make more sense to go with a smaller caliber. If you handload then as long as you have a reasonable selection of projectiles and some good brass there's no reason not too.

I've standardized on .308 Win because I've found that for my shooting there are high-BC projectiles in th 165-175 gr. range that strike a good balance between ballistics and recoil. The .308 does what I want it to do out to some pretty impressive ranges. I don't care about drops because that's what target turrets are for. However, when it comes to wind a comparable 7mm-80 load would probably have 7-10" less drift @ 500 yards in a 20 mph wind. When I rebarrel these long-life barrels someday I may rechamber to 7mm-08. But that would really only be if I was dissatisfied with .308. I haven't gotten there yet.

I guess I'd say the .308 Win has proven to be a good all-purpose cartridge. easily handled by most shooters and has a lot going for it. I have nothing bad to say about the .270 but did notice there don't seem to be a ton of projectiles around for it with high BCs. I'd consider a 7mm-08.

The 30-06 is very nearly a "girly gun", unlike the .270 which IS  a girly gun.  My sister shoots one...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Back to Top
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 21702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 17:18
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

The problem with .30-cal projectiles is that to match the ballistic characteristics of smaller calibers you have to go up in weight. When you do that, you start to bump into problems with recoil and control over the rifle. Some shooters are more immune to this than others. But consider the weight of the average shooter and the average rifle and it may make more sense to go with a smaller caliber. If you handload then as long as you have a reasonable selection of projectiles and some good brass there's no reason not too.

I've standardized on .308 Win because I've found that for my shooting there are high-BC projectiles in th 165-175 gr. range that strike a good balance between ballistics and recoil. The .308 does what I want it to do out to some pretty impressive ranges. I don't care about drops because that's what target turrets are for. However, when it comes to wind a comparable 7mm-80 load would probably have 7-10" less drift @ 500 yards in a 20 mph wind. When I rebarrel these long-life barrels someday I may rechamber to 7mm-08. But that would really only be if I was dissatisfied with .308. I haven't gotten there yet.

I guess I'd say the .308 Win has proven to be a good all-purpose cartridge. easily handled by most shooters and has a lot going for it. I have nothing bad to say about the .270 but did notice there don't seem to be a ton of projectiles around for it with high BCs. I'd consider a 7mm-08.

The 30-06 is very nearly a "girly gun", unlike the .270 which IS  a girly gun.  My sister shoots one...

Guess I should add that in one day she shot 7 hogs... all shots were "in the eye".  My BIL made her quit shooting hogs... he was tired of dressing them... "skin this one Pilgrim and I'll bring you another..."
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Back to Top
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: November/13/2008
Location: Montana
Status: Offline
Points: 4853
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 20:34
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The 30-06 is very nearly a "girly gun", unlike the .270 which IS  a girly gun.  My sister shoots one...
Don't you mean the .308? Man, you are so mean when you're drunk like that. Kicking empty .458 Lott casings in my face while I'm trying to talk to my girlfriend about her .243.
Reaction time is a factor...
Back to Top
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 21702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 20:46
Nah, nah, nah....


I was only kidding... well, trying to start trouble...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Back to Top
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: May/07/2009
Location: Montana
Status: Offline
Points: 3416
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:00
270 Winchester and 308 Winchester?
 
When given those choices, the answer is simple:
 
7-08 Remington.
 
For target, hunting, and general fun; it is a fantastic cartridge.
-Matt
Back to Top
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 11684
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:17
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.484 seconds.