New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Really sad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Really sad

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 09:35
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar
Lord Of The Flies

Joined: March/14/2007
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 6005
My opinion...do not waste $$$$ on trying to find the magic. I put about a 2000 rounds through my Rem trying to "fix" what can't be fixed with loading 1/10th grain more and 1 thou seating variations and...
Take all that money and fit a proper barrel.
Or sell the rifle.
My new rifle with a custom barrel with no dope on loading just shoots clover leafs. All day long if I do my partEmbarrassed Yeah I just had to say that last bitBig smileTongue
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:02
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 13311
I'm remember all the pain you went through with that Remy varmint rifle Wouter. You were faithful in trying to fix it even with all the hassle of you being located on the other side of the pond from Remington.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:55
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 15408
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Dyna Bore Coat can solve lots of fouling issues.  I use it in every barrel I have, custom or not.   Bedding a rifle is never a bad idea.

Is Dyna Bore Coat still available? I've wanted to try it, but the last time I checked, it had been discontinued. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:17
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 15408
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

How about a barrett fieldcraft. They are $1700ish. They will be near perfect right out of the gate. All the time and money you have spent on that one is probably getting close to the field craft.
 

I missed this on the first pass. This is an excellent suggestion too!

I have a Fieldcraft in 7-08, and it is an outstanding rifle in every respect! Fit and finish is great. It comes with a great trigger (Timney, designed specifically for that rifle). Barrel twists used for all chamberings were obviously decided by someone who has a clue. Bedding is perfect right out of the box, with each stock individually bedded to the actual barreled action it is mated to. They use longer than normal mag boxes so you can load longer high BC bullets out to the lands and still feed from the magazine. The stock they use is very high quality, carbon fiber construction made by AG Composites, and it is well finished with a "granite" looking speckled paint that is very durable. It is extremely lightweight, weighing about the same as a Kimber Montana of the same chambering. It has an extra mount screw hole in the front of the receiver, which allows you to use 2 different mount positions to adapt to different scope tube lengths and eye relief positions. The bolt handle is held in place by an ingenious slot and set screw retention method, which is very strong, yet allows you to change bolt handles should you wish to do so later (assuming different handles are available...IDK). Every review I've read from those who own one has had very good accuracy results, and mine will shoot as well, delivering consistent sub-MOA groups despite the pencil weight barrel profile. On top of all that, Barrett has a great customer service reputation, so in the rare chance you get a lemon, they will take care of you.

Sometimes it's just best to quit beating your head against the wall, putting lots of time, effort, and $ into trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Unless the rifle has sentimental value to you, it's just a factory rifle, nothing special. I say punt.

If you've repeatedly tried different things and spent a lot of money trying to get it to shoot and it still doesn't meet your expectations, cut your losses, sell it, and buy something else. It will cost you in the neighborhood of $500 - $700 to rebarrel it, should you choose that route (cost of the barrel blank plus labor to chamber, thread, cut to length, crown, and finish). Add that to the two stocks you've already bought, not to mention the time and frustration you've endured... when all is said and done, no matter how much you spend on it, you still have a Remington 700, so you will never recoup anywhere close to the cost you have in it should you decide to sell.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:47
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: May/17/2016
Location: Chelsea
Status: Offline
Points: 364
The rifle was a gift, so... probably not going to sell it. I'd rebarrel it though. I like the carbon fiber one that is out there. 

I will work on a hand load it likes. 

I need to stress this is a hunting rifle. I like it because its fairly compact, but the heavy barrel lets me shoot lots of ammo if I want to. And I enjoy that. It's not to heavy that I wouldn't want to carry it around, but its not to light that it beats me up. My Ruger Hawkeye 308 compact weighs 5.75 pounds without scope. It has a solid rubber butt pad. It is not fun to shoot a bunch of ammo out of it, but it sure is handy in the woods. Or a shooting house. 

And I can suppress it. 

The bag i use the rifle sits down in. So its from the front of the trigger guard forward. I would like a bag for the back, and may try that. When I let the gunsmith at the store across the street shoot it, that is what he uses, 2 bags. He got 1.5 MOA, so its better than it was. He had 5 different kinds of ammo. 


Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:55
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: May/17/2016
Location: Chelsea
Status: Offline
Points: 364
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Dyna Bore Coat can solve lots of fouling issues.  I use it in every barrel I have, custom or not.   Bedding a rifle is never a bad idea.

Is Dyna Bore Coat still available? I've wanted to try it, but the last time I checked, it had been discontinued. 

Midway has it. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 hours 2 minutes ago at 12:58
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 15408
Ah, so they do. Thanks! I saw the “discontinued” statement at Brownells and another site and didn’t search further. Evidently it’s the “kit” with the bottle of alcohol they once offered that was discontinued, not the DBC itself.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 36 minutes ago at 13:24
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: January/03/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 425
Getting the rifle to ride bags with the bore perpendicular to the target as possible is a huge part of consistently printing the smallest groups. Change in bag placement from shooting is a common cause of flyers.

The rifle should ride straight back with the crosshair rising perfectly vertically without hopping or twisting, the same way every shot. For hunting rifles, a butterfly bag up front and a rabbit ear with a hard bottom on the rear works the best that I've found. A lightweight hunting rig will print bug holes if it is capable.

Bulls Bags are butterfly bags, but others have copied them. Protektor Model is the standard for the rear. You can adjust elevation on the front by using two stacks of sandbags made from pants legs under the butterfly bag. If the stock has aggressive texturing, dryer sheets placed on the bag help the rifle slide.

Depending on your purpose, 1.5" isn't all that bad. Wasn't Weatherby a big deal for guaranteeing 1.5" 3 shot groups some years ago? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 24 minutes ago at 14:36
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: May/17/2016
Location: Chelsea
Status: Offline
Points: 364
Weatherby guarantees 1moa with their ammo I believe. 

I don't think my bag thing is ideal. I think the back of the stock needs to be supported. However, that is the bag I use to shoot everything, so when I get a really tight group, or a really sloppy one, its all done the same way. 

I sent McGowan a message about a barrel. When I look at all their stuff, I just get a brain freeze. I told them I basically wanted a replacement barrel that was as close to the factory one as possible. 

What I find really interesting is I can go out to my hunting club, which is not idea, since I am shooting sort of down, and get a decent grouping, then go to a range, and its a little different. 

If I play around and get it down around 1 moa I will probably call it good with the factory barrel. It just bugs me that my old 700 shoots so darn well, as does this savage, and then I get a bull barrel 308 and its not like those two guns. 

I mean can I just get an Axis and have the barrel cut down 2 inches, drop a trigger in it, add a stock and call it good???? LOL... Maybe that is what I need to do. Although the savage action is longer. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 1 minutes ago at 14:59
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Location: Utah
Status: Online
Points: 10787
Buy a Tikka and no more issues.  Big smile  They are the best of the cheap rifles IMO. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 37 minutes ago at 15:23
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 15408
With few exceptions, mass production factory rifle accuracy is a crap shoot. Some will really shoot way above their pay grade, others are underachievers. If it doesn’t shoot, you can do all the little tweaks this far discussed and your efforts are futile if the barrel is subpar. Barrel quality has the most influence on precision of any other factor by far. Either you got a good barrel or you didn’t. If you did, you can tune it with the common accurizing tweaks and load development and get it to shoot. If you didn’t, it’s a money pit, and no amount of tweaking and no amount of money spent will correct the problem short of barrel replacement.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 8 minutes ago at 15:52
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: May/17/2016
Location: Chelsea
Status: Offline
Points: 364
McGown says send the barrel to them and they will duplicate it. 


Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 58 minutes ago at 16:02
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Location: Utah
Status: Online
Points: 10787
Injust saw carbon fiber barrel in a post. :). Since i just got one, gotta say i like it a lot. I gained 4 inches of barrel and shed 1.5 lbs of weight.

It shoots really nice too. The barrel cost me $800ish then $450 to chamber, thread barrel and bed to action.

Did i meantion i really like it.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 4 minutes ago at 04:56
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar
Lord Of The Flies

Joined: March/14/2007
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 6005
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

With few exceptions, mass production factory rifle accuracy is a crap shoot. Some will really shoot way above their pay grade, others are underachievers. If it doesn’t shoot, you can do all the little tweaks this far discussed and your efforts are futile if the barrel is subpar. Barrel quality has the most influence on precision of any other factor by far. Either you got a good barrel or you didn’t. If you did, you can tune it with the common accurizing tweaks and load development and get it to shoot. If you didn’t, it’s a money pit, and no amount of tweaking and no amount of money spent will correct the problem short of barrel replacement.

Amen brother Amen Handshake
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 3 minutes ago at 09:57
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: March/08/2010
Location: Lone Star State
Status: Offline
Points: 365
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

How about a barrett fieldcraft. They are $1700ish. They will be near perfect right out of the gate. All the time and money you have spent on that one is probably getting close to the field craft.
 


I missed this on the first pass. This is an excellent suggestion too!

I have a Fieldcraft in 7-08, and it is an outstanding rifle in every respect! Fit and finish is great. It comes with a great trigger (Timney, designed specifically for that rifle). Barrel twists used for all chamberings were obviously decided by someone who has a clue. Bedding is perfect right out of the box, with each stock individually bedded to the actual barreled action it is mated to. They use longer than normal mag boxes so you can load longer high BC bullets out to the lands and still feed from the magazine. The stock they use is very high quality, carbon fiber construction made by AG Composites, and it is well finished with a "granite" looking speckled paint that is very durable. It is extremely lightweight, weighing about the same as a Kimber Montana of the same chambering. It has an extra mount screw hole in the front of the receiver, which allows you to use 2 different mount positions to adapt to different scope tube lengths and eye relief positions. The bolt handle is held in place by an ingenious slot and set screw retention method, which is very strong, yet allows you to change bolt handles should you wish to do so later (assuming different handles are available...IDK). Every review I've read from those who own one has had very good accuracy results, and mine will shoot as well, delivering consistent sub-MOA groups despite the pencil weight barrel profile. On top of all that, Barrett has a great customer service reputation, so in the rare chance you get a lemon, they will take care of you.

Sometimes it's just best to quit beating your head against the wall, putting lots of time, effort, and $ into trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Unless the rifle has sentimental value to you, it's just a factory rifle, nothing special. I say punt.

If you've repeatedly tried different things and spent a lot of money trying to get it to shoot and it still doesn't meet your expectations, cut your losses, sell it, and buy something else. It will cost you in the neighborhood of $500 - $700 to rebarrel it, should you choose that route (cost of the barrel blank plus labor to chamber, thread, cut to length, crown, and finish). Add that to the two stocks you've already bought, not to mention the time and frustration you've endured... when all is said and done, no matter how much you spend on it, you still have a Remington 700, so you will never recoup anywhere close to the cost you have in it should you decide to sell.





Don’t want to hijack the mans thread, so a quick question only. Is the barrel on your Barrett free floated? I read on they’re website that they aren’t. I’m wondering how they are getting such good accuracy from a light barrel that is bedded into the stock.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 32 minutes ago at 10:28
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Location: Utah
Status: Online
Points: 10787
They are full length bedded.  Just goes to show there is always more than one way to skin the cat. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 31 minutes ago at 10:29
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: January/03/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 425
On the Weatherby, I meant like 20 years ago. Point being that we, none of us, had trouble doing what needed doing when top o' the line factory accuracy was 1.5" for 3 shots at 100 yards. If you're hitting what you really want to hit in the actual arena of use, groups on paper are irrelevant. 

Savage Axis actions won't run as long as a Remington 700 actions. The economy of the 700 comes from the featurelessness of the action and not doing machining work that can be done. Savage saves money by assembling an action from boxes of low-quality parts. A tuned 700 can be made into a quality, but overpriced and not very nice, long-running rig. A Savage will always be a pile of cheap, ill-wearing parts.

I think the advantage here for the 700 is that a quality .308 barrel will be a pleasure to use for longer than an Axis action.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 25 minutes ago at 10:35
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Location: Utah
Status: Online
Points: 10787
Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

On the Weatherby, I meant like 20 years ago. Point being that we, none of us, had trouble doing what needed doing when top o' the line factory accuracy was 1.5" for 3 shots at 100 yards. If you're hitting what you really want to hit in the actual arena of use, groups on paper are irrelevant. 

Savage Axis actions won't run as long as a Remington 700 actions. The economy of the 700 comes from the featurelessness of the action and not doing machining work that can be done. Savage saves money by assembling an action from boxes of low-quality parts. A tuned 700 can be made into a quality, but overpriced and not very nice, long-running rig. A Savage will always be a pile of cheap, ill-wearing parts.

I think the advantage here for the 700 is that a quality .308 barrel will be a pleasure to use for longer than an Axis action.


Your generalization of Savage being cheaply made may or may not be true.  But more importantly most hunting rifles will never see 1000 rounds in their lifetime.  So it is hard to see actual evidence of that generalization.  And really hard to prove the 700 is better off that type of data. 

Savage make good firearms vs the direct competition.  They are accurate (many believe one of the most accurate factory rifles), they are reliable, they have a decent trigger, they have a great cheap no frills bedding system that works, they make good factory barrels, and they have a broad selection to fit your budget.  Whats not to like. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Really sad"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
There are no similar posts.
Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.184 seconds.